Thursday 16 April 2009

WEN WU- Chinese Arts Centre


I was at one of my favourite haunts in Manchester today. The Chinese arts centre has a consistent flow of new and exciting artwork from some of the forerunners in the Asian arts movements.In fact i often find it far more intriguing and enticing than a lot of the mainstream pap that's put on display in the central galleries.

Some rather interesting encounters faced me upon entering the narrow corridors on this particular occasion. I managed to have a rare glimpse that the audience is seldom given, as i saw the artist of the current exhibit, " " installing his piece for the next show. Indeed, it was an installation work so he was literally starting from the ground up.....totally absorbed in this practice and far too busy to chat. To me it seems that modern spectators never have this opportunity...to see the work before it is finished, never mind in the infant stages, as i saw today. So having seen this i, as a member of the audience can go back and view the piece with completely unique perspectives to those around me.

Another artist's work that struck me during my time in the gallery was Wen Wu, whose pieces seem likened,in style to that of Goya, with a classical feel. Although the most captivating aspects of the work was what i read in the information, again donating me, the viewer, a completely novel insight and reaction to that of my primary.
Wu's work is conudcted in a bizarre, trance-like state, wherein she imagines herself as a middle aged homosexual Greek from the classical period exploiting her fantasies of the handsome male youths. The title of the work is a play on the old Chinese proverb, "Eat, Drink, Man, Woman"....though Wu switches the latter to read; "Eat, Drink, Man, Man".

She explores numerous homosexual references and the focus on the female gaze, through subjects relating to Oscar Wilde and the Ancient Greek Myth of Ganymede. Her use of food in pieces also suggests the unseen taboo and consumption of male beauty (the modern-day "Emo-males with feminine characteristics).

I found her work to be of use for many reasons. Firstly, for aesthetic values,they were very well conducted pieces. Her exploration of an ideal, a lie...if you will, that she lives through her practice struck a note with my own. I am trying to convince the audience of a sculpture that does not yet exist and she uses a false identity to convey something to the audience....so this...i found fascinating. The discussion of a Greek Myth in modern artworkwas also refreshing to me as, as a member of an audience i am captivated by these tales.

Indeed, on a final note i wouldlike to explain my thoughts on the gallery itself. Being named the "Chinese Arts Centre" the insitution sets itself up for a very strict set of clientel and exhibitors. Peraps this may also reverberate upon a select minority audience?!? They made use of the whole building, with exhibitions in the toilets as well. So it seems to me that they are testing the boundaries of the gallery,whilst working in a restricted space and with cultural morals.

No comments:

Post a Comment