Wednesday 4 March 2009

PSL visit

Last Saturday was the closing date of the "195 Miles" exhibit at the Project Space Leeds in the city centre.
I couldn't help feeling on my way to the show, with my other students and colleagues that whilst it wasn't too much of a marathon to get to the space, it is slightly out of the way of the average man or woman in Leeds. There is little chance in my mind that it would e as easily accessible or popular as say, The Henry Moore Institute or the Central Gallery. This seems to me that it would attract a more specific audience of real artists and only those with a very persistent tolerance for this kind of work. Only after arriving was this affirmed, as the core basis of spectators revolved around creative students and tutoring art practitioners.
However, i am here to look more closely at the presentation and exhibition methods in PSL and how they can help me.
What i liked about the show was that there was a large range of different work ethics inside the one space, making for a plethora of varying outcomes. Much of the work was 3-D and used ready made materials. It would have been a welcome change, in my opinion, to see some examples of traditional pieces or sculpture/drawing, although the atmosphere of the place seemed to be on the opposing side.
There was plenty of room to hang the sculptures and display whatever the practitioners wanted to show for themselves. It almost felt as if there could have been 3 or so more artists exhibiting in the space and it would not have been crowded.
Indeed, having viewed the exhibit i came to the conclusion that i would be more suited to a different environment for my work. Since most of my own work is based on illustrations and sculpture it would seem sensible to seek out individuals and a space that suit my own needs and productions. This may need careful consideration.

No comments:

Post a Comment